|LEDs offers significant advantages over other lighting options in cooled spaces:
- Use semiconductors to transform electricity into light. This produces waste heat which is absorbed by a heat sink instead of being radiated.
- Maintain, or even increase, their light output in extreme cold, whereas fluorescent lighting diminishes significantly.
- Turn on instantly with no warm-up required to reach maximum brightness.
- Can be controlled with occupancy sensors and dimmers.
- Provide bright, uniform light that enhances color representation and does not flicker.
- Are more durable in extreme cold and humid environments, making it ideal for cooled spaces such as refrigerator/freezer cases and cooled warehouses.
- Do not contain harmful mercury like fluorescent does, making it safe in food storage areas.
- Are extremely energy efficient and long lasting, so they save money AND are better for the environment.
An example of savings: For every watt saved, you save 3.4 BTUs. If you replace a 459 watt metal halide high bay with a 169 watt LED, you are saving 986 BTUs. That adds up to considerable cooling system savings – in addition to the energy saved in your lighting system and maintenance costs. Traditional sources need replaced about every 3 years. Compare that to LEDs that typically last a decade or more before needing replaced. You save on lamps, ballasts, labor, and equipment costs.